Reading. The Pompeu Fabra Public Library
The Pompeu Fabra Public Library is the cultural service with most users in the city. It is a modern and large centre with spaces and services for every type and need of user.
The areas and sections of the library are:
- Adults' area, on the first floor. It contains the bulk of the collection of the library, an internet service and the Information Point of the European Union.
- Children's area, on the ground floor. Space with an a collection for boys and girls under 12 years and a collection for parents and childcare professionals.
- Information and research area, on the first floor. It contains the reference works (encyclopedia, atlas, directories, etc) which are available for loan.
- Music and magazine area, on the ground floor. It contains documents relating to music, sports and games. There is a section for magazines and newspapers, and a space for watching DVDs, videos and foreign TV channels. There is also an area of easy reading for people who are beginners or who have some kind of difficulty.
- Local collection. It contains the collection of documents on Mataro and its area of influence: authors from Mataro or works on the city and its surroundings.
It is free and entitles you to use any of the services and resources
of any library in the Library Network
of Barcelona Deputation
Access to Wi-Fi Internet
The library disposes of Wi-Fi technology which permits free wireless access to internet, from any mobile device (laptop computer, PDA, mobile phone). You only need to be a holder of a library card to use it.
From right here you can carry out the following movements:
- Search the catalogue (documents which you can consult in the entire library network)
- Request a card (application for a library card)
- Borrow documents (reservation of loaned documents, renewal of loaned documents, home loan)
The document collection
The library's collection is constantly being updated. At present there are almost 90.000 documents of books, videos, DVD, CD, CD-BLUNT and multimedia, 400 magazines titles and newspapers and 9 online resources of information...
You can consult the catalogue of the library here
You can consult the latest acquisitions on the news bulletin
List of available daily press in the library:
List of consultable magazines in the library:
Catalogues of other public libraries of Catalonia, Spain and rest of the world:
Resource guides on a subject or person:
Resource guides for your children:
The library offers its users numerous services:
- Service of document loan (to the library, interlibrary, home, educational centres of the city, universities and centres of documentation)
- Service of enquiry by internet (through the library PC or with your mobile device thanks to the Wi-Fi network)
- Service of information and reference (advice and guidance in the search for information, database enquiries and webs of interest)
- Service of user training (courses, visits and workshops)
- Open University Point of Catalonia
ACTIVITIES FOR THE PROMOTION OF READING
The library organizes several activities for the promotion of reading.
Those that are held periodically are:
- Would you like to take part in a chat? Literary chat on a book or author.
Monthly meeting, each first Wednesday of the month at 7 in the evening, to debate and exchange feelings and points of view on a book or author of interest. Activity open to everybody, organized by Toni Sala.
- Easy reading: Read with Us
Monthly meeting, the last Wednesday of each month at 7 in the evening, aimed at people with a desire to read and express themselves in Catalan in a relaxed and fun way. Activity of the Easy Reading season, a service directed at people with reading or comprehension difficulties.
- The Hour of the Tale.
Sessions of narrations of a tale for children, each Tuesday at 6 in the evening. On certain dates we organize special sessions with dramatizations, puppets or musicians from professional companies.
- Club Gomet Vermell (Red Sticker Club)
Literary meeting for boys and girls from 7 years upwards, on Thursdays at 6 in the evening. It encourages young readers to exchange impressions and express their opinions on an author or book.